Long-Term Disability Frequently Asked Questions


How do I file a claim?

To file a paper claim, contact your benefits administrator or download the claim packet from this website to download, complete and print the claim packet. A typical application for disability benefits contains the following  documents:

  • Employee’s Statement
  • Employer’s Statement
  • Attending Physician’s Statement (APS)
  • Authorization to Obtain and Release Information

Where do I send the completed forms?

Completed forms may be mailed to:

The Standard Benefit Administrators
P.O. Box 5031
White Plains, NY 10601

Or, if you prefer, you may fax completed forms to our office at 1-800- 378-8631.

If my claim for benefits is approved, how long will it take to receive my first check?

After the benefit waiting period as outlined in your group policy is served, long-term disability benefit payments are paid in arrears on a monthly basis based on the date of disability and are mailed directly to your residence. Long-term disability benefit payments that are payable for retroactive claims will be paid immediately following claim approval.

Who should I call with questions about my claim?

If you have already filed a claim, please call The Standard’s Disability Benefits toll-free number at 1-800-426-4332. If you are looking for general information, please contact your benefits administrator.

Who is responsible for notifying the City of Detroit of my absence?

It is your responsibility to follow the normal City of Detroit absence reporting procedures by notifying your manager or supervisor of your absence.

When should I file a claim?

Report a claim as soon as you believe you will be absent from work beyond 180 calendar days. If you are uncertain about how long you will be absent or whether you should file a claim or not, we suggest that you file your claim. This offers you some peace of mind and allows for The Standard to begin its review and issue a timely payment if appropriate.

What can I expect after I submit the completed forms?

Once The Standard receives the required paperwork, which includes the Employee’s Statement, Employer’s Statement, Attending Physician’s Statement and Authorization to Obtain and Release Information, your benefits analyst will contact you to discuss any additional information that may be necessary to complete the processing of your claim and to answer any of your questions.

When I file my claim, what information will I need to provide?

You will be asked to provide the following information – in addition to other questions about your absence:

  • Employer name: City of Detroit
  • Group Policy number: 750999
  • Name and Social Security number
  • Last day  you were at work
  • Nature of claim/medical information
  • Physician’s contact information (name, address, phone and fax numbers)

Current News That May Interest You:

read all news »



Active Employees married to a City of Detroit Retiree are now eligible to enroll their spouse for health care coverage effective January 1, 2017

Please visit the online system www.mydetroitbenefits.com to enroll your retired spouse. Eligibility Documentation is required. You may also call toll-free (855) 224 6200 to compl...

Read More »



Last call for retirees to collect health funds

Time is running out for thousands of city retirees who are eligible to recoup millions in out-of-pocket costs for medical co-pays and prescriptions they paid for last year.

Read More »

Important Retirement System News You Need To Know Learn More ›

A Message from GRSD Chairman Tom Sheehan Read Letter ›


The 2017 Annual Report is now available

. Click here to view report


NOTICE: Active Election & Important Election Dates